dinsdag 14 april 2009

LINQ to SharePoint

I myself are quite happy with LINQ. I have used it on numerous occasions and it saved me time on those same occasions.

But when working with SharePoint and CAML, I felt like I was missing something. I could use LINQ to access the SharePoint data.
Recently I came across this solution on CodePlex: LINQ to SharePoint. I have looked into it, and although it hasn’t been updated recently, it looks promising. I am looking forward to the moment I give it a try on the next project.

A short highlight of the features (taken from CodePlex):

  • Custom query provider that translates LINQ queries to CAML, the Collaborative Application Markup Language used by SharePoint for querying.
  • Support for LINQ in C# 3.0 and Visual Basic 9.0.
  • Entity creation tool SpMetal to export SharePoint list definitions to entity classes used for querying.
  • Visual Studio 2008 integration for entity creation (a.k.a. SPML).
  • Can connect to a SharePoint site either using the SharePoint object model or via the SharePoint web services.
  • Planned support for updating through entity types.

If you are into SharePoint development and know how to use LINQ, you should definitely give this a try.

Geen opmerkingen: